Updates on the Second High School Project
Designed by FRK Architects + Engineers, Waukee Community School District’s second high school is being built on 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee. The building is slated to open in the fall of 2021. Students in the classes of 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025 could be the first to attend the second high school.
- Waukee City Council and Waukee Community School District approved a 28e agreement in May of 2016 which will allow the city and district to share green space.
- A total of 160 acres of land north of Hickman Road and east of 10th Street in Waukee will be used to build a second high school and City of Waukee-owned sports complex.
- FRK compiled a list of comparable high school sites in Minnesota, Kansas, Missouri and Iowa district administrators to visit.
- FRK brought conceptual plans to the Board of Education based on information gathered at the visioning meetings.
- Held planning meetings with the City of Waukee and Confluence. Waukee Community School District and FRK continued to work on the programming process and building design.
- Planning meetings with the City of Waukee and Confluence continued.
- Waukee Community School District and FRK continued to work on the programming process and building design.
- FRK presented the schematic design to the Waukee Board of Education on August 28. The design was unanimously approved.
- Programming meetings with departments to begin in the next 30 days
- Meeting scheduled with the City for 9/8 to discuss next steps related to finalizing the master planning process
- Next steps are site design and coordination of work to begin next spring after successful bond referendum